[AMPS] High Volt Fluke type probes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] High Volt Fluke type probes
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 98 01:38:36 -0800

>I would like to build a high voltage probe for my multimeter, any
>suggestions or construction tips would be appreciated, as i do not
>want to pay a few hundred bucks just for one or two measurements.

I found a 400M ohm high voltage MOF resistor at a swap meet.  I mounted
it in a long plastic box.  I used banana jacks for the in and out
connections.  I connected a precision R and a 20 turn trimpot across the
output of the divider.  Feeding 1000V in, I adjusted the output for
1.000V, which calibrated the multiplier box for x1000 .  I can measure up
to 30kVDC accurately with my Fluke DMM.  .
-  later, Igor

Rich...