[AMPS] Series Parallel Electrolytics & Current

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Series Parallel Electrolytics & Current
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 98 12:27:34 -0800

>Hi Carl and Igor,
>
>Why such a mess?
>
>This insistance on using electrolytic caps in such quantities puzzles me?
>
>HENRY uses a single 16UF @ 8KV

This is not the stated rating needed.

>oil filled and is available for $125 (new).
>This is less than the computer caps in the quanties needed and is superior.
>Probably smaller too.

The 105º C electrolytics are 35mm dia. by 50mm in length, and light in weight.

>No equalizing resistors or worry about matched units. No concern about how
>much current to draw through series devices or cooling.
>
>There are virtually no disadvantages to oil over electrolytics.

Some have much lower ripple current ratings than high quality electrolytics.

>Igor, it sounds like you're making a "real" amp. Most manufacturers use
>computer caps because at lower voltages they are cheaper in the toy desktop
>models.
>Your real amp voltages require a real capacitor.

I built a tetrode with handles amplifier that delivered over 1150v pk into 50
ohms.   The power supply delivered 9100v no load. It used a compact,
lightweight bank of electrolytic capacitors, mounted with silicone rubber, on
an acrylic sheet.  The measured power gain of the amplifier was x100.  The
power supply performed with little heating and no perceptable ripple on the
transmitted voice signal

Rich...