[AMPS] Series Parallel Electrolytics & Current

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Series Parallel Electrolytics & Current
From: RFpower@radiodan.com (Radiodan W7RF)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 13:18:19 -0700
If someone wants to use 24 capacitors and all the needed resistors and labor
and expense (24 X $10-$14 each)as a better option to an oil filled or two,
then go for it.

Just because they all CAN be strung together doesn't make it better, or
easier, or cheaper, or smaller, or......

Additional responses below.

73 Dan Magro, RADIODAN W7RF, (member SCDXC)
Henry HF Amps are "Instant on" for RF Power now!
Rugged, Reliable HENRY RF Power Amplifiers for LESS!
Trust one of your own, a DXer & Contester.
http://www.radiodan.com??? RFpower@radiodan.com
<mailto:RFpower@radiodan.com> A trip to our web site is worth the click!

Then find a more appropriate value.

> >oil filled and is available for $125 (new).
> >This is less than the computer caps in the quanties needed and
> is superior.
> >Probably smaller too.
>
> The 105º C electrolytics are 35mm dia. by 50mm in length, and
> light in weight.

24 of these are smaller?

> >No equalizing resistors or worry about matched units. No concern
> about how
> >much current to draw through series devices or cooling.
> >
> >There are virtually no disadvantages to oil over electrolytics.
>
> Some have much lower ripple current ratings than high quality
> electrolytics.
>
> >Igor, it sounds like you're making a "real" amp. Most manufacturers use
> >computer caps because at lower voltages they are cheaper in the
> toy desktop
> >models.
> >Your real amp voltages require a real capacitor.
> >
> I built a tetrode with handles amplifier that delivered over
> 1150v pk into 50 ohms.   The power supply delivered 9100v no
> load. It used a compact, lightweight bank of electrolytic
> capacitors, mounted with silicone rubber, on an acrylic sheet.
> The measured power gain of the amplifier was x100.  The power
> supply performed with little heating and no perceptable ripple on
> the transmitted voice signal

And one can wire together 20 diodes per string in a rectifier, is that
better than a high quality modular block?
Maybe it's possible but not as practical.

Dan