[AMPS] Revitalising 'tired' tetrodes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Revitalising 'tired' tetrodes
From: chris.tran@zetnet.co.uk (Chris W Tran)
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 11:18:40 +0100
Sunday 18th October 1998

Hello all

I've got a few tired 4CX1000A ex-broadcast 'pulls', and
want to revitalise them a bit, if it's possible.

Speaking to my friend Bob Kerr GM4FDT, he quoted from the 1925
Admiralty Handbook about how to revitalise Thoriated-tungsten
cathodes/filaments (as used in the larger Eimac tetrodes)
- run the filament for a few hours/days with all other voltages
disconnected - extra Thorium migrates to the surface and the
emission will increase.   Also, as the filament reaches the end
of its life, the filament voltage can be increased by say 5% to
improve emission.

Does anyone know of a similar procedure which would give new
life to the 'Oxide-coated unipotential' cathodes of the
4CX1000A/4CX1500B series ?

73   Chris   GM3WOJ/GM8V
<chris.tran@zetnet.co.uk>