[AMPS] Re: ETO/Alpha 12M mods

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: ETO/Alpha 12M mods
From: ab2et@juno.com (Zdzislaw R Sawicki)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 23:41:17 -0400
Goodness gracious John what a PAIN, method (a) sounds V-E-R-Y Dicey and
method (b) just plain strange and "goofy".

May be Alpha/Power Inc can get into the or even better, offer a retrofit
Plate choke for a reasonable cost to all of the "Older" Alpha owners.
With the sky high cost of 90's technology Amps many do not have the
luxury or the choice of spending $3-4K for one  and must make due with
the "oldie" units.

BTW is their a easy way to get at the meter lamps in the 374
short of taking out the diode board and the HV filter cap.

73's

Steve

  oo
 (__)         AB2ET
"I bet two extra terrestrials"

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 07:07:54 -0600 (MDT) John Brosnahan <broz@csn.net>
writes:
>Steve, there are two possible ways to do the 12 meter mods to older
>Alpha
>amps, but neither is easy!  These ideas are not directed specifically
>at
>any particular model, just general comments.
>
>1)  You can try to move the series resonance of the plate RF choke
>half way between 12M and 10M.  This can be done by two ways
>--either by removing a few turns from the choke or by adding a
>shorted
>turn around the choke as done in one published mod.  But both
>techniques
>are tricky.  The exact resonance of the RF choke is somewhat variable
>from amp to amp due to minor variations in lead dress and other
>nearby
>components (and also apparently due to minor changes in the number of
>
>turns on the chokes as supplied by the choke vendor). You need to
>determine the RF choke series resonance accurately and move that
>resonance to a very narrow window between the bands.   Move it too
>much and the choke will now blow up on 10M instead of 12M.
>Fortunately
>the resonance is very high Q one and this technique CAN work but there
>
>is a high probability for disaster if not done correctly.
>
>2)  The second way of handling the series resonance problem is the
>way all current Alpha/Power amps are made.  You can use two,
>series-connected, chokes and switch in one of them for the high
>bands and both of them for the low bands.  The problem with this
>is that you need to detect what bands you are on from the bandswitch
>and this is not an easy task.  There are no available contacts on the
>bandswitch, nor are there and "sneaky" ground paths on the band
>switch that can be used to detect high bands from low bands.  So that
>means that you would need to add another section to the bandswitch but
>
>that isn't easy due to space and general hassle.  Or you can add
>something
>to the shaft at the front that allows a microswitch, or a reed switch,
>or
>a photocell to be activated when in the 15M and 10M positions.  Not
>easy
>either. (You could add a small toggle switch to do the choke switching
>
>manually but, if you forget to set it properly for the 12M band just
>one time,
>you will smoke the choke.)
>
>The 78 poses a special problem.  The plate TUNE capacitor is not
>used on 10M due to the combined capacitance of the three tubes and
>the additional capacitance of the pretuned output networks.  So on 10M
>
>the 78 is only "broadly" resonated on 10M by strays and the output
>is peaked by the LOAD capacitor.  Going to 12M (assuming the
>plate choke series resonance has been addressed) would normally
>involve setting the bandswitch to 10M and adding more capacitiance
>from
> [...]

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]