[AMPS] C & LC Connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] C & LC Connectors
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 98 11:59:52 -0000
>I distinctly said RG-17 size cable which inferred there are others
>included.

OK.  Understood now.  I thought you meant specifically RG-17.

>The RG-17 family includes 17, 17A, 18, 18A, 177, 218, 219, 295. I am also
>sure there are numerous other LC connector variants to fit even more
>cables.

Thank you for the education.  It IS hard to keep up on all the different
sizes and families!

>>Someone a couple of days ago asked me privately about impedance for
>>the C
>>connectors.  I told him that they were 50 Ohms.  However, 75 Ohm and
>>93
>>Ohm versions are also available.
>

>That is a problem for uninformed flea market scroungers. BNC, N, C and
>probably others are available in multiple impedences.

I'd agree.  Not good to get the wrong connector!

>The 75 Ohm male N has a smaller diameter center pin for example. While it
>possible to trim and fit a 50 Ohm RG-213 center conductor,  the mating to
>a 50 Ohm female will be tenuous at best and usually lead to
>intermittents, etc.

In lab class in college we were given STRICT orders to never, ever plug a
50 Ohm male into a 75 Ohm female.  I've seen the results when someone did
it once and it wasn't pretty.  It's very easy to make this mistake.  And
I agree triming the 50 Ohm center would be a shaky thing to do.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden