[AMPS]"cheapest amp known to mankind"

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS]"cheapest amp known to mankind"
From: kz5qdx@communique.net (Douglas Bradford)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 07:03:54 -0600

Zdzislaw R Sawicki wrote:

> I have played with "older" Henry amps and I find them NO different in
> operation or even construction then "some of the "cheapest amp known to
> mankind".
> As a matter of fact many of the "cheaper" Amps  had more Value per Watt
> and for sure  SIZE then the Henry Amps of the same time periods (lets
> talk about the Heath Amps).

Hello Steve, How many of the "cheaper amps" are still running without any
repairs ?I have a Old Henry Console that I have had for 25 Years. The only
thing I ever did
was change tubes and replace 1 choke. What is still being made in the cheaper
amps
that can compare with that. I also had the 374A. *I bought used and it was
the 13th
unit made.. All I ever did was change tubes one time. I finally sold the 374A
and it
is still running. I still have the Henry. I could have bought a cheaper Amp
back then.
Compare the Cost per Year and the Cost of Operating, Both were very Cheap.
The
Henry would put out much more than the Old 374A but was not a No-Tune,  Also,

you do not have to wait 3 minutes for it to warm up. A pile up can get to a
tremendous
size in 3 minutes. Over the years, the Henry has been worth its weight in
Gold just for
that one reason.

This is a Hobby as you said. If you want to Bass fish, you do not have to go
buy a
$20,000 rig. You can fish from the Bank or wade. You put into the Hobby what
you can afford. But as everyone has said.   Do not expect Big amp performance

from a little Amp and don't expect it to last for 25 years. I have put
several thousand
hours on the Henry and did the same on the 374A.

Take one of the smaller amps and try to run a KW for 48 hours. You will never
make it.
You don't need one of the newer Rigs either. You can run a old HW101. It will
not do
what the newer rigs will do , but it will work.

Don't compare Apples and Oranges, enjoy what you can afford but don't make
excuses.
You will get what you pay for.

73 & GL

BRAD  KZ5Q