[AMPS] Fw: [TenTec] Titan info

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Fw: [TenTec] Titan info
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 06:12:28 -0800
>Amp Reflectees,
>Why is he going through so many vacuum relays?? See below.
>
>Lane Zeitler
>KM3G

Possibly because the vacuum relay is not closing fast enough.   Just
because a relay coil is rated at a certain voltage does not mean that the
rated voltage is satisfactory for all applications.  For instance, If a
26v/80mA  HC-1 or RJ-1A vac. relay is operated from 26vdc, it closes in
approx.  6mS.  The bad news is that 6mS is Not fast enough to avoid
hot-switching with some of the newer transceivers.  .  In order to
actuate these relays fast enough to avoid hot switching, the coil needs
to be operated from a Current-Limited 80mA / 110 - 160 vdc source
(actuate time approx. 1.9mS).   Jennings outlines this procedure in their
vac. relay catalogue.   Curiously, I know of no amplifier manufacturer
who uses a 110 - 160 volt current limited source for such relays.
.   .
-  later, Lane

Rich..., ag6k

>Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan info
>

>Hi Bob and congrats on getting your hands on a darned good amp. I've had
>mine for seven years and other than having to replace vacuum relays often,
>it's worked great for me. I typically wear out a vacuum relay a year, but
>then I'm pushing the thing at greater than 60 wpm also.
>Two thing's I recommend:
>1)      Get in the habit of an annual cleaning. Take the top cover off and
>use a rather stiff paint brush and your XYL's vacuum and REALLY clean the
>dust/dirt out of it. I go so far as removing the tubes and dusting the
>sockets and in the chamber underneath the tubes. I also use a small brush
>and clean the vanes on the fan. I also cut out small pieces of air
>conditioner foam and attach it to the air intake louvers on each side of
>them amp, with several pieces of sewing thread. During contest or extended
>periods of operating, I direct an external fan on the power supply. All of
>this cleaning takes you about an hour a year..but sure helps in keeping
>the air flow strong on the $400 a piece tubes!
>2)      At ham fest, etc., look for some GOOD Jennings military type
>vacuum relays. Buy SEVERAL of them and keep them handy.
>

>Don't be afraid to run at 1500 watts output. I've done it many times on 80
>mtrs during the CQ WW DX contest. It just sits there and kicks tu-tu!
>

>At 10:47 AM 11/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>

>>Greetings to all,
>>
>>I have recently aquired a Titan 425,and would appreciate any
>>information,pointers,warnings,etc. I'm in the process of running a 220 v.
>>line into the shack,so the day is coming to fire it up.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,direct reply is OK.
>>
>>Bob KA1DFO
>>
>>--
>>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm