[AMPS] Reply of 11/19/98 to W6FR

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Reply of 11/19/98 to W6FR
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:30:15 -0500

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 15:32:52 -0800 George Badger <gbadger@svetlana.com>
writes:

>Hello Carl:
>
>May I quote Bill Orr's article in November, 1995 "CQ", page 56, as
>follows:
>
>"In the last few years, assisted by American expertise, the Russians
>are
>turning out first class tubes, like the 811As.The Russian 811A, looks
>like
>the good old RCA job, but with the addition of a ceramic base, and a
>ceramic insulator under the plate cap, to prevent the glass envelope
>from
>electrolysis. In addition, a hard glass envelope is used specifically
>
>intended for transmitting tubes, instead of the soft glass envelope of
>the
>RCA811A.
>
>Four Svetlana 811A's (from Svetlana Electron Devices, 3000 Alpine
>Road,
>Portola Valley, CA.94028; phone 415-233-0429) are running in my 30L-1
>
>amplifier. Operation is uneventful, the results equaling those
>achieved
>with the early RCA tubes. The 4 tubes seem equally matched, as all run
>at
>the same temperature."

That quote says very little George. No mention of frequency or power out.
My earlier statement about 10M with ceramic based tubes in the 30L1 still
holds.

And yes, the 10M coil can be spread a bit to compensate but the Tune cap
is at absolute minimum C and there is very little coil to start with.

73  Carl  KM1H

>73
>
>George     W6TC
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]