[AMPS] Henry 8K at 1500 watts Out -- Warning Long

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Henry 8K at 1500 watts Out -- Warning Long
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 08:37:50 -0800

>       Dan says:
>
>       > normally load "heavy" to reduce grid current after full output tune.
> Power
>       >out suffers only 25-50 watts.
>       >This must be where the improved IMD comes from.
>
>If you are winding down the drive to get down to the legal limit, the
>improvement in IMD because of less swing dominates.

indeed.  For a tetrode with handles amplifier, backing down the mic. gain
puts the amplifier in ultralinear Class A operation.  If you don't need
full suds to communicate, it's the right thing to do.  However, if anal
retentive / anal expulsive jammer-guys show up,  you can pump it up.

>Underrunning a big amp
>in this way should help reliability, life (tube and other parts) and IMD.
>What the marketeers call 'a win-win situation'.

In my opinion, it's tempest in a teapot.  Does it really matter if one's
signal strength decreases or increases by one S-Unit as long as one is
not interfering with a neighbor who is trying to phone 911?
-  Buying a too-large amplifier and throttling it back is like buying a
new Porche 911 and blocking off the air inlet so as to limit the top
speed to 55-mph instead of 174-mph.  I think I'm gonna puke.
-  cheers, Pete

Rich...