[AMPS] Vac Variable Mounting

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Vac Variable Mounting
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 02:36:24 -0500

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 16:25:13 -0500 "Bill Coleman N2BC" <n2bc@ibm.net>
writes:

>Looking for some wisdom...  Need to mount a couple of Jennings CVCJ
>type
>vacuum variables and have never seen a close-up view of the proper way
>physically mount them.  My current thinking is to make some brackets
>out of
>1/4" or 1/2" thick aluminum which would clamp to the silver plated
>areas at
>the "front" (shaft end) and the smaller diameter ring at the "back".
>
>Question:  Can these areas handle some clamping pressure?
>
>Thanks!   73, Bill  N2BC

Yes, those ceramic caps are quite rugged and can handle reasonable
pressure. However typical commercial mounting methods use a two piece
aluminum compression mount for the ground side where drilled and tapped
mounting holes or a flange are not available. The "hot" side is often
held in a fiberglass mount of similar construction.
RF is taken from a brass strap or similar compression clamp.  I have even
seen commercial applications use a stainless steel hose clamp to mate a
silver plated strap to the cap.

Use whatever works as long as the connecting method has sufficient
surface area for the current and is chemically compatible with the cap
material.

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]