[AMPS] big or small amps, we're all hams

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] big or small amps, we're all hams
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 01:38:31 -0500

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:13:05 -0800 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
writes:

> [...]

Sorry, I have a real life, a real job and a real family.  Nor do I feel
qualified for such a task. As I've mentioned here several times, I'm not
an engineer, just a tech with 42 years experience building and fixing
amps.

>>Along with some juicy technical tidbits on his web page, Rich
>Measures
>>describes what happened when he tried to straighten out some of the
>>perceived deficiencies in the Handbook.

I would love to hear the story from the other sides perspective.

LOTS of SNIP

Funny; some zit gets on my case about a comment I made and then goes on
bashing the ARRL.
If it wasnt for the ARRL, I and most of us wouldnt be here and that
includes the reflector whiners who only crawl out of their closets when
their undies get stained.
Show me any organization that is perfect, always accurate and has 100%
membership approval.
Yes, the Handbook is full of errors. Yes, some are trying such as Dean
Straw, N6BV, who has done a credible job of starting to clean up the
Antenna Manual and may start on the Handbook next.

Dean is a full EE, doesnt work cheap and in todays world there is no
requirement to work in Newington. Dean telecommuted from NH for a few
years and is now doing the same in the land of fruits and nuts.

So much for zit whining.

>?  [chortle]   ... ... or the county coroner.   When these and other
>new/improved ARRL Handbook technoblunders were being discussed on the
>Internet, I received a third-party e-mail inquiry, allegedly through a
>
>friend of the ARRL, asking me if I would be interested in fixing the
>amps
>chapter of the Handbook.  .  .  .  To me it seemed that either the
>offer
>was a jovial prank, or, Mark and David were being somewhat less than
>up
>front, again -- like they were after the protected-critique of the
>"Nearly Perfect Amplifier"  (by one or more of our recognized
>amplifier
>"experts")  appeared on page 72 of the 9/94 *QST*.  .

I refer to that Technical Correspondense often as well as all your
various published articles.
The QST article makes some very good points and I also have a serious
issue with several of your claims. However, I feel it was a complete
disservice for the ARRL to not publish your reply and carry the subject
thru to a closure.

On this reflector all we get is your version and sorry again to Zitland,
but that aint how we operate in the USA.

  Meanwhile, back
>at
>the ranch, Mark uses low vhf Q parasite suppressors in the  (used to
>eat
>8877s)  Alpha 77 he bought at an ARRL auction.  .  .  And remember
>boys
>and girls, David says "it's your League".  Yeah, right.  The laugher
>is
>that the elected Directors do not direct.  Your vote matters not a
>jot.
>On the other hand, this reality has the advantage of protecting us
>from
>hamdom's megalomaniacs.

We have a few on this reflector that fit the description. You know the
type...always right, my way or no way,  get their undies stained and
whine to the Administrator, etc.

>>Oh yeah -- I considered working for the ARRL as a technical editor
>some years
>>back, but the difference in cost of living between Connecticut and
>Texas
>>meant that I'd take an equivalent $15,000-a-year pay cut to go there,
>and
>would
>>make the equivalent of minimum wage in Texas, after expenses.  With
>that kind
>of
>>pay, is it any wonder they can't hire qualified writers or editorial
>staff?

Must have been before computers and modems.

>?  Amps guys are hard to find.  James 'Rus' Healy was probably the
>last
>one at HQ when he bailed out.

Rus is great and still involved in amps.

>>And as Rich what happens when an actual qualified expert offers his
>services
>>on a semi-pro-bono deal.
>>
>?   I am not a qualified expert.  I got booted out of college in my
>third
>year.  .  Some things I know a bit about, some not.  When it's
>something
>I do not know about, I am usually unstupid enough to open ears before
>mouth. //    At the risk of being boring, my guess is the deal to
>write
>the amplifier chapter in the Handbook would have come to pass if it
>were
>not for my writing "The Nearly Perfect Amplifier"  (1/90 QST).
>Shortly
>after this article appeared, Dick Erhorn and C. Tom Rauch, Jun.
>mysteriously got themselves appointed as the New copy-editors of the
>manuscript I was writing, unbeknownst to me.  After Erhorn and Rauch
>told
>the League that there were serious problems with the manuscript, the
>League pulled the plug.

They are two full fledged engineers you have been attacking for years and
yet the zits still love you. They must have a Monica phobia.

.   And now for the good news.  Amplifier
>builders can read the Handbook And they can read "Amplifiers",
>thanks
>to the Internet and an asshole in 6-land who believes the hobby would
>be
>healthier if  *QST* is not:
> *Of by and for Amateur Radio  advertisers*.

You seem to have plenty of free time, why not run for Director or
something? The same with others, all it takes is a little bit of effort
an who knows what can happen once the first person gets in the door.

Since I'm not sure who wrote what and when, you can all take offense as
you wish. OTOH, I dont give a damn about anyone who would try and shut
off a discussion just so their canditate for sainthood is assured of
winning.

Working 12+ hrs a day recently limits my reply time.  Anyone looking for
Tech, Assy or Engr position in the Millimeter Wave business in Southern
NH let me know, we are growing like mad and I would love a 40hr week
again!

And TNX to the many private supportative comments.

73  Carl  KM1H

.
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]