[AMPS] Re: SERIOUS commentary from N4XY on "no-code" and "bounced" submi

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: SERIOUS commentary from N4XY on "no-code" and "bounced" submission to [CW] from Bob Marston, K1TA [LONG] but please read all
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 15:29:12 -0500

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:39:04 -0800 Bob Marston <k1ta@earthlink.net>
writes:
SNIPPED

>For approximately the last 20 years Japan has been granting a no-code
>license which conveys priveledges on all HF Bands except 20 meters.
>Because
>of this Japan has one of the largest Ham Radio populations in the
>world.
>During the last 2 Solar Peaks and the one we are experiencing now do
>you
>hear these "CB-Hams" overrunning the cw band?

No, but primarily due to the 10W restriction and high population density
which restricts efficient antennas in many cases.
However the Jap no coders on VHF/UHF are an absolute disgrace according
to just about any JA I have asked or has volunteered the info.

You also fail to mention the rapid turn-over of the no coders as with
their USA CB Band counterparts.
Me thinks it is all a very smart marketing ploy to sell more radios and
quality of operators is a dirty word.
However OTOH, true JA hams with all privileges are renowned for their on
the air courtesy, operating skills and code proficiency.

To be sure there is a
>great
>deal of QRM in the 40 Meter cw band. It's coming from illegal use of
>HF
>radios in Indonesia Commercial Logging operations. The Indonesian
>violation
>is real, the No-Code threat is perceived.

The Indonesian CB Band is at 40M on AM and much use is legal in their
eyes.

I wondering if this item
>(Indonesian violations) is drawing any posts on this list?

Lots of SNIPS
>>Tell me how archaic something I GREATLY enjoy is... and I will
>surely
>>disagree with you. Listen to the SSB portions of 75M, or 20M-SSB and
>tell me
>>how archaic CW is. Maybe you also consider the NTS to be archaic...

Absolutely useless except possibly under the most extreme cases.
Otherwise it is a daily waste of valuable spectrum.
Efficient use of FM repeaters and mobile SSB is the best emergency
back-up system. The recent tests of modern tower sites with emergency
power during Mother Natures worst has shown this old CW person how
archaic it has become as a emergency tool.

>but ask
>>them which mode can get through with higher volumes of-for
>example-emergency
>>traffic... the answer won't be SSB... not for REAL situations, with
>REAL
>>trouble... Packet/etc. if you can... CW if you cannot do "data".

Say what?
Emergency traffic starts at the center of the disaster and that is
primarily FM and mobile SSB.
The next relay is the home station survivor with emergency power.
>From their the circle expands on SSB and Digital modes.

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone here has actually participated in a
real emergency?
At least in the past 5 years/post Andrew  or so.

More SNIPS
>OK  Then let me pose a hypothetical for you and the group to ponder:
>Given
>the choice between 2 strategies with the following possible outcomes
>which
>would you choose
>
>1 Go for broke, no compromise, bet the ranch, take no prisoners.
>Pursue the
>Code requirements for all, forever. And risk the very real possibility
>of
>being perceived as unreasonable and intransigent which results in the
>total
>loss of CW.
>
>2 Turn the arguement around. And accept a class of license that
>provides
>for HF priveledges without a code test in exchange for guaranteed cw
>exclusive subbands for XX years.

Contrary to rumors, amateur radio is still viewed as a Service by the
Govt. With that view I dont think it is up to us to make the choice.
Dwindling ham population is a commercial problem. Quality spectrum use is
OUR problem. Preserving spectrum is OUR problem.

One way I see out of the Catch 22 is to effectively lobby Washington to
guarantee spectrum first and THEN consider rules changes based upon
National needs, not ours.
Ham Radio has been getting some very good press and we should capitalize
on that.
I cant speak for other states but NH is very pro ham radio

73   Carl  KM1H
CW for me is a personal preference since I tend to push the limits of my
station but  I am not wearing blinders either.

>73s
>
>Bob K1TA
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]