[AMPS] ARRL and QST (and CW Relevance)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ARRL and QST (and CW Relevance)
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 14:25:00 -0600
>>To be frank, ham radio has NOT been the technology leader for many,
>>many years.  That is falacy.  Put it this way, the concept of cellular
>>telephones was developed in the 1950s!
>
>Maybe ham radio was not the direct leader, but it would be interesting to
>see how many of the new developments were done in industry by hams.

I would agree with that.  You are right.  Much of the development of the
technology was done by engineers/folks who happened to have ham radio as
their hobby.  No question about it.  I know one of the inventors of the
transistor was a ham as well as I am sure many more high profile
scientists.  Would they have made the inventions w/o ham radio?  Who
knows......

73,

Jon
KE9NA