[AMPS] ARRL and QST (and CW Relevance)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ARRL and QST (and CW Relevance)
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 19:55:46 -0500
Maybe I'm still in wake up mode after the 72+ hr work week but how did
the subject drift so far off the original?
In general, so no one gets into a snit, the last I remember was ARRL
bashing which seems to have degraded into multiple little war zones.

73  Carl   KM1H  Bitchin'  as Usual

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 19:23:17 -0600 Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com> writes:

>>Well Dale, we will have to respectfully disagree with each other.
>The
>>difference in copyabiltiy between CW and Pactor when they are down
>in
>>the noise is simple:  Pactor knows when an error has been made, CW
>>doesn't.  If you send dit-dit-dit-dah and noise or QRM causes you to
>>miss a dit and copy it as U instead of V, you have no way of knowing
>>you got it wrong.
>
>Yes, I do.  Let's say the V was the start of the word Very.  When I
>hear
>Uery, I know that I got it wrong.  I have error correction.
>
>Pactor just sits there trying and trying and trying and trying and
>trying
>and trying.  By the time it gets a good resend, I'm way ahead of it.
>
>> Pactor not only knows, it automatically asks for a
>>repeat and will keep on asking until it gets it right.  You can not
>>fool it - it either gets it perfect or not at all (see note below).
>>

>That's right.  And if it gets hung up it can be completely lost for
>good.
> If some CW pieces get lost, usually, sense can still be made out of
>what
>is said.  The fact is you don't need error free communication.  That's
>
>why error free modes aren't generally used in contests and
>DXpeditions.
>It takes too long to get everything correct.
>
>>Also, digital signal processing can be done on a Pactor signal which
>>can actually pull an uncopyable signal out of the noise - one the
>>human ear literally can not even hear.  I'm not saying your KAM can
>do
>>that, but it is technically possible given the proper equipment and
>>software.  The times they are a-changin'.
>
>Well, I've heard this, but my KAM certainly can't do it.  I know that
>can put my Timewave DSP599-zx on digital signals and pull out stuff
>out
>of the noise that I couldn't otherwise hear, but I have a hard time
>believing that anything can be pulled out BELOW a noise floor.  That's
>
>why it is called the noise floor.  Maybe the DSP helps to move that
>lower, but there is still a noise floor where the signal becomes
>unintelligible from the back ground white nosie.  The DSP can give you
>
>some more dynamic range over the human ear.  It can't work magic.
>
>73,
>
>Jon
>KE9NA

>Jon Ogden
>KE9NA
>
>http://www.qsl.net/ke9na    <--- CHECK IT OUT!  It's been
>updated!!!!!

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]