[AMPS] HV Switching Supply

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV Switching Supply
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 17:19:19 -0500

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999 13:56:53 EST Radio WC6W <wc6w@juno.com> writes:

>On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 21:04:47 -0500 km1h@juno.com writes:
>
>Hi Carl,
>   A worthy project.
>

>>Input:  90-260VAC @ 47-440Hz
>
>  PFC Boost input topology I presume?

 Provision for soft-start??

Inherent in the design

>>Output: 2000, 2250, 2500VDC at up to 1A PEP
>
>  H Bridge?  FET's or IGBT's??  What switching frequency???

Undecided. Also looking at a doubler which offers some plusses.
Freq pbly 80-100KHz in order to maximize available ( cheap) cap ESR's.

>   Output protection?   SInce the output capacitor is somewhere in the
>neighborhood of .1uF you should be able to build in some real
>"glicch"
>protection for the benefit of both the tubes and the transistors.

Yep, all of the above are in the draft. The end result will of course be
cost driven but a packaged PS ready to drop in to an OEM amp  will have
all the bells and whistles they want.

>> User selectable xfmr taps.
>>About 5% worse case regulation, open loop.
>
>    Are you planning to close the loop?

Not necessary for the application; at full draw regulation will be <5%,
less current better regulation. It will be less complicated to do the
regulation in the xfmr design.

>>Xfmr: Planar construction
>
>    Oooh,  modern!  Where do the parts for that come from?

Very modern !
All  parts from USA which is way ahead of Asia, etc in HV applications.

>>Output: 300-400VDC  adjustable @ 50ma, .25% regulation
>>Output: -25 to -150VDC @ 50ma adjustable. .25% regulation
>>Xfmr: conventional pot core
>
>  Is this driven from a separate output circuit?  I have found it
>safer over the years to source the grid bias independently from the
>plate &
>screen with appropriate interlocks.

Completely independent from the HV which is strictly planar construction.
The screen and bias can be from the same one tho at such low wattage and
are conventional cores.
Metering points plus current/voltage protection are a given.
Also considering 6.3V @ 6A filaments for most of the 250-400 series
tetrodes and a pair of 8874's.

End result, dependent upon cost, may be a universal PC board with various
options for the tetrode vs triode user.

Still in the thinking mode so keep the ideas flowing. Trying to cover a
fairly wide range of user requirements in one unit is an interesting
challenge but very doable as long as the end user has the mental ability
to select the right jumper, etc.  Is that too much to expect?!? Some
recent posts make me wonder !!

73  Carl  KM1H

.