[AMPS] More L-net/Series to Parallel questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] More L-net/Series to Parallel questions
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:02:56 -0000
Jon asks:

        >OK I GIVE UP!!!!  WHY DO THE EQUATIONS NOT JIVE??????

Because the example given isn't resonant.

7.6pF at 28 MHz is -j747.9 ohms. In shunt with 4600 ohms, this gives a
series equivalent of  -j728.6 in series with 118.5 ohms. 1 microhenry is j
175.9, so the impedance looking back is -j552.7 ohms in series with 118.5
ohms. If you have a series inductance of j728.6 ohms (4.141 microhenry),
then Q  = 728.6/118.5, or 6.15. Similarly, from the parallel case of Rp/Xp,
4600/728.6 = 6.15.

I did a bit of playing on the Smith Chart. While adding the inductance in
series between the plate and C increases the value of C1, it does push up
the circuit Q as a whole, as evidenced by the narrower bandwidth when a
frequency sweep is done.  That's working back from the SWR looking back into
the network when loaded with the correct laod impedance at the plate.

73

Peter G3RZP