[AMPS] resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] resistors
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 07:47:18 -0500

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 17:06:44 -0800 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
writes:

>>On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 08:22:49 -0800 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>>writes:

>seen
>>>
>>>Ä  References, please.  .  In a typical 8171 anode-supply, a
>100k-ohm
>>>bleeder would dissipate 810 watts.
>>
>>I suggest you read the original post which had nothing to do with
>your CB
>>tube. Neither was a single 100K bleeder mentioned in my reply since
>the
>>160W dissipation is too close for comfort in a 200W resistor, which
>could
>>lead to premature failure..
>>
>?  You stated that 100K is the suggested max in any literature you
>have
>seen.  What literature?

Credible authors from days of old when amp articles were published.
No time to argue, I'm outta here for a week.
Keep the pins in the voodoo doll.

>>>Ä  What mechanism recharges the capacitor?
>>

>>An incomplete discharge. Something very easy to do for an
>inexperienced
>>person..
>>
>?  Bzzzzzt.  You said recharge.

Yep, it often appears that way.

>>>margin.Matsushita not a common distributor item and similar wattage
>>>Panasonic, etc are only 350V.
>>>
>>>Ä  The manufacturer's (Panasonic/Matsushita)  rating at 70 deg. C
>>>ambientis 500v or 3w .  For a 100k-ohm unit, the realizable
>>>dissipation is 2.5w at 500v.  .
>>
>>Lets see, what supply are you working with at this moment? The
>>
>>BTW, the DigiKey catalog rates the Panasonic/Matsushita 3W at 350V,
>
>?  In the current catalog, the max. v rating of the 1w, 2w and 3w
>units
>are all 350v.  This is not logical since the film path in a 3w unit is
>
>not the same as a 1w unit.  .  Previous catalogs listed the
>Panasonic3w
>units at 500v max.

Is it any more logical to have a 1000V rating on a 200W wirewound?
I dont write the specs.

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]