[AMPS] Output power 8877

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Output power 8877
From: W8IK@ibm.net (Joe Subich, W8IK/4)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:19:34 -0500

> From my engineering days I remember the fact that when you wanted to read
> output power you wanted to use a single tone.  I don't think power meters
> read multiple tones accurately (at least the HP ones at Motorola didn't!).

Eimac's spec sheets show two-tone numbers ca. 65% of the single tone value.
As such, the 1200 watts of two-tone power would reprecent about 1800 watts
of carrier.

The only way I know of to measure two-tone PEP is with a calibrated scope
or spectrum analyzer.  Use the scope to measure the peak voltage across the
dummy load and calculate power as E^2/Z.

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@IBM.NET>