[AMPS] HV Safety

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV Safety
From: w4eto@rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:17:41 -0600
Hi Marv...

The exact system you describe - a BIG neon bulb in a relaxation oscillator,
blinking near the rf section of a PP 813, may well have saved my life about
40 years ago while I was W0FID and in high school back in Minnesota.

The PA used plug-in BC-610 tank coils and had an interlocked, hinged top
cover (nearly six feet off the floor) for coil-changing access. I climbed
up on a chair, opened the cover to change bands. Just before I would have
grabbed the (HOT!) tank coil by both ends to pry it out of its very stiff
banana-jack-bar socket (elbows solidly on the aluminum enclosure), I
happened to see that neon lamp blinking. The cover interlock was open, but
the primary relay contacts had welded shut, leaving full ~2500V HV on the
tank coil.

That relay was a husky, very popular Potter-Brumfield PR-type which I'll
bet many home brewers are still using. That kind of experience will make
one a real advocate of using BOTH an a-c interlocks and an HV crowbar --
AND pulling the a-c plug physically before working on any HV equipment!

BTW, one more little insurance policy is a simple step-start system as
often discussed on the reflector. By limiting inrush current to ~10-15A, it
usually will prevent relay contact welding (which typically is caused by
very large initial inrush current transients).

73,    Dick   W0ID