[AMPS] parasite

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] parasite
From: w4eto@rainbow.rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 15:34:18 -0600
Hi John...

I refuse to be drawn into a discussion of what I was doing socially in
1947. Just figured it would have taken you at least 50 years to get so much
QRO experience! (Not kidding - but that's a compliment.)

When first discussing 3CX15,000B7 for MRI applications with Eimac guys in
San Carlos about 12 years ago, the about-to-retire chief engineer (or maybe
 he was the just-retired chief engineer) told us they'd had substantial
problem with the tube failing prematurely in (sw broadcast, I think)
applications. Seems they finally determined that it would break into a
cavity-mode L-Band parasitic oscillation if idling Ip was great enough to,
I suppose, create high enough gm. Because the parasitic occurred entirely
inside the anode cavity, it did not couple significantly to the external
circuit. As I recall, that made it both extremely hard to discover and
identify, and virtually impossible to suppress other than by limiting Ipo.
Fortunately the critical level was modestly greater than what's required
for optimum linearity at 20-30 kW peak in pulse duty, and we've had
excellent service from the 3CPX5000A7, which is internally identical.

Think you've described the same phenomenon below, though with a larger
tube. Thought the above might be of interest in confirming your assessment.
(See, there's that evidence of your 50 years' experience again!)

73,  Dick  W0ID