[AMPS] Bandpass filters - where to put them?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Bandpass filters - where to put them?
From: kc2agl@mhv.net (Lloyd Frink)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:20:54 -0400

Jon Ogden wrote:

> OK, in my continuing saga with my ICE filters, I have spoken in detail to
> the folks at ICE.  It appears that the "200 Watt" rating is really an
> intermittent PEP rating (SSB service perhaps) and not a CW rating.  I
> stated that they need to clear this up in their literature.  For keydown
> type purposes, the units should be used at 100 Watts or less.  He said
> that was their intended application.<snip>

Funny, my replacement 6M filter (from ICE direct) has a label on it which
clearly states 250 watts ICS. In my book ICS is not intermittent. As for
playing a game with stating PEP limitations well..................

I performed a two minute continous key-down test into a dummy load, and had no
problems with the replacement unit at ~105 watts. Then a one minute test at
the highest keyer speed setting sending dits. Although the filter case got a
little warm, nothing smoked. The old filter  smoked  on the 2nd CW CQ call.

> The guy at ICE suggested putting the filter between the transceiver and
> the brick.  <snip>

If it were me, I would put the filter after the brick provided it is within
limits. If not toss the filter and look for a pass-band cavity. Of course if
you have a pre-amp filtering ahead of the preamp would be nice.

> Thanks es 73,
>
> Jon
> KE9NA

73 de Loyd, K2KJ