[AMPS] Henry Amplifier Tune Up, Prt. 1b

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Henry Amplifier Tune Up, Prt. 1b
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 12:01:50 -1000
Well,  it is clear that the problem was here in this part somewhere,
as it has not yet appeared,  but all other parts have.  So,
with a few changes, maybe this time it will be accepted
by the reflectors.  Felt it necessary to post,  as it does
contain Peter's original comment:

And,  finally,  Peter, G3RZP,  comments:

"You have to be careful on your definition of 'resonance' here.
If you say that resonance is where the tank circuit provides to
the plate a pure resistance equal to the design load resistance,
then you have one situation.

"(I think this is the one that Rich has for maximum output - i.e.
optimum load) Of course, the output capacity of the tube has
to get tuned out in this. Under this situation, you'll get a different
answer to measuring the 'resonant' frequency of the tank with
a GDO.   [Deleted a line here from Peter's note;  it had an
equation that the robot might think looked odd,  hi]

"In fact, we learnt 5 different definitions of resonance at
college:  the best one is that the applied voltage  and
current are in phase.

"So until we have a uniformally accepted definition of resonance,
it's like the Dodo race from Alice in Wonderland - 'Everyone has
won, and everyone must have a prize.'   "

End of quotes.

Thanks to each of you,  for  discussing  this info.  I am still
learning the proper way of tuning up,  and keeping tamed down my
new "big" Henry amp,  an 8K ( purchased to last for me,  and then
the rest of my son's lifetime,  hi!)  Cool and conservative and extreme
linearity of output is my goal,  all leading to a great signal and long
life for the Henry,  I hope!

I also have presets for the Henry,  but they are not "virtual",  they
are 24 pairs of miniature precision tune/load pots.  I believe the
reflector will not pass  images to all,  but if any of you would
care to see what Henry presets look like,  I'll be happy to send
images along .

73,  Jim,  KH7M