[AMPS] Re: Ferrite Rod for 6M Amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Ferrite Rod for 6M Amp
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 13:35:20 -0700

hello, Tom

>While I agree an air core alone is sufficient to make a reasonable
>filament choke on 50 MHz, Rich has a total misunderstanding of
>what creates "distortion" that we can hear in a linear PA.

It was not a SSB signal.  It was an AØ signal of 100w.  The type-61
material performed well at 10MHz.  The waveform looked good.  I slowly
increased freq.  At 14MHz, the waveform did not look good. .   However,
with a ferrite material rated for 50MHz max. instead of 10MHz max., no
distortion was observed at 14MHz.

>Not only that, something must have been wrong in Rich's test
>setup. Operation at higher frequencies does not suddenly create
>waveform distortion in a ferrite material.

Sweeping from 10 to 14 MHz did not produce any sudden change.  The change
was pretty gradual.

>If a certain material did create harmonic distortion as Rich wrongly
>claims, the manufacturer would NOT recommend it for EMI
>suppression!! That's because it would create harmonics and create
>EMI through generation of harmonics.

Perhaps this is why we often see a bypass cap on the outgoing side of a
ferrite RF attenuator bead?

>The claim operating 61 material at 14 MHz creates harmonics is
>nonsense. Clipping is a flux density problem, not a frequency
>problem.

The observed waveform was not clipped at 14MHz. .  Between 80-deg. and
100-deg., the waveform looked pretty much like a sine wave. //  Permag
Pacific clearly indicates that the permitted flux density varies with
frequency.   I suspect that if I had decreased P, the waveform at 14MHz
might have improved.

>> ?   In the test I performed with type-61 material operating at 14MHz, the
>> slope of the waveform was noticably different from that of a sinewave --
>> esp. between 60-degrees to  80-degrees and 100-degrees to 130-degrees.   .
>>  My guess is that the distortion was >15%.
>
>Great "guess". What scope did you use? Maybe it needs repair.

?  A Hewlett Packard 1807.  The RF from my 2m HT produces a sinewave on
the screen.

>> >Quoting from Fair-rite Corp, an actual manufacturer of soft iron
>> >materials, 61 material is suitable in broadband transformers and
>> >EMI/RFI suppression devices up to 200 MHz, and tuned
>> >applications up to 10 MHz. Q at ten MHz is 80.
>> >
>> ? The cathode of a g-g amplifier is akin to a tuned circuit.
>
>Nonsense. The choke is intentionally designed so its impedance is
>several times the cathode impedance. That means the choke has
>little RF current, low magnetization, and is NOT a part of any
>resonant circuit.
>
>Besides that, the eddy currents (the "thing" that limits upper
>frequency Q) simply add linear loss resistance to the system.

>> ?  Harmonic distortion has everything to do with sine waveshape
>> distortion.
>
>That's right. But harmonic distortion has no ill effects in a narrow
>band PA.

It does when your neighbors are watching the NBA playoffs.

>People who aren't totally familiar with PA operation sometimes
>confuse harmonic distortion with the type of distortion that causes
>splatter. Splatter is NOT caused by harmonic distortion, splatter is
>caused by amplitude non-linearity in the envelope shape.

Is this a plea-bargain?

>That's the reason a single-ended class B PA is just as linear and
>can produce just as low distortion in a SSB signal as a push-pull
>PA.

¿say what?

>If 61 material did cause harmonic distortion (which it doesn't), it
>could STILL be successfully used in a resonant PA.

Agreed - provided the flux-density was sufficiently reduced above 10MHz.
However, a material with a Mu of 40 and a max. freq. rating of 50MHz is
available at the same cost, so why not use it?

>It would be useless in broadband applications, and EMI suppression.
>
>There is no other explanation for your results and conclusions.

One explanation is that someone made a somewhat faulty assumption.

>"The test" you made must have been flawed, and your end-conclusions
>make absolutely no sense at all when compared to well published
>data.

The results of the "The test" seemed to be in general agreement with
Permag Pacific's little orange book.

-  cheers, Tom

Rich...