[AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection
From: Donald.Kessler@wpafb.af.mil (Kessler Donald J LtC AFMC/DOOT)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 11:22:49 -0400
Greetings all...
I've been following this thread with much interest as I received two TL-922A
amps from the MARS program.  While these amps had very little time on them,
one of the amps had significant damage to the bandswitch.  These amps were
used in a controlled environment by only one or two individuals from the
local air base.  Bottom line is that they were used in strict accordance
with the owner's manual and yet one of the amps destroyed it's respective
bandswitch.

After I received the amps and before applying power, I searched the web for
"tl-922" and found several sites, including AG6K's.  I had never been on
this reflector before, nor had I heard of Rich, Tom, et. al., before coming
to this reflector.  So, I read Rich's TL-922 modifications from an unbiased
standpoint, and quite frankly, they made a lot of sense to little old me,
and I found them to be well thought out.  I thought his findings were very
sound.  I'm not a rocket scientist, but I do possess a BSEE, MSEE, and soon
to be Ph.D. in EE (RF).

I was quite surprised to find out that Kenwood really missed the boat on the
little things too, such as inrush current and filament voltage.  A few more
minutes of design work, or perhaps keeping the marketing folks out of the
engineering, and Kenwood would probably still be in the HF amplifier market
today...

I guess the bottom line here is that for less than the cost of a new
bandswitch, the TL-922 can be made very reliable, and much more pleasant to
operate (quieter T/R change-over).  I can't say for certain exactly why the
bandswitch failed, but it did.  Since making the mods, I haven't had any
problem with either of these amps.  I can highly recommend to owners of
non-modified TL-922s to consider making these mods to their amps.

I have since gone back and dug out Rich's article, "Parasitics Revisited",
and it is well worth reading. I can't prove whether it was parasitics,
parasitic paranoia, or "little green men" that damaged the amp, but it did
happen. I particularly enjoy this reflector when the discourse is more
technical, but I find the thinly veiled personal attacks to be rather petty.
If you don't agree, with someone, please provide sound engineering
data/practice to argue your points.

I'll step off the soap-box now...

Thanks, and 73 de Don (kiss)