[AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 99 16:05:23 -0500
>>I also question whether
>>overheating of parasitic suppressors isn't down to them getting very hot
>>because of physically where they are,
>
>?  In all but conduction-cooled and water-cooled situations, vhf
>suppressors typically live in fast-moving air.

That still doesn't mean that the resistors are at room temperature.  Fast
moving air at 100° C still spells an ambient temperature of 100° C.  And the
resistor's dissipation ratings are correspondingly lowered.

Rich, you've never ever responded and tried to defend your suppressors when I
tell the story of how I thermally burned them up in my amp on 10M.  The 4 1 Ohm
parallel combination you call Ra or the "anode fuse" burned up completely!  Now
how can 0.25 Ohms of resistance with only 0.7 mA of DC current burn up when the
power handling capability is greater than 6 Watts???  Easy answer:  circulating
current + high temperatures.  And your LR suppressors desoldered themselves due
to the heat even with silver solder.

No, none of this was parasitic damage.  After taking your stuff out, I've had
nary a problem.

To your credit, I must say that your series RC cathode suppressors work very
well and those did solve stability problems.

Fast moving hot air is still hot air.  It's true in an amp.  It's true on this
reflector.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na