[AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:44:38 -0700

Jon

>>>Is the amplitude of a spark that is generated by hotswitching a 100W
>>>signal on the input relay really large enough to drive the tube and
>>>thereby generate a change in anode current on the output?
>>>
>>?  Would you expect a change in input potential to cause a change in
>>anode current?
>
>Oh, sure.  But my question is not wether or not it happens.  But as Tom
>pointed out, the filter action of the input pi-network will limit the
>response of the spark pulse.

?  agreed.  The question is how much?  Sparks contain wideband energy.
The pi tuned input is a low-pass filter with a Q of as low as 0.75 in a
stock 922.  .

> Plus how large an amplitude is generated?
>Is it enough of a voltage spike to drive the amplifier into conduction?

?  The 3-500Zs are already in conduction when the input relay contacts
bounce.

>And even if it is the output signal on the anode still won't be all that
>large.

?  The HF signal at the anode has nothing to do with the signal that gets
fed back to the input.  .

> And any anode ringing will be even less of an amplitude.  Could
>that ringing of small amplitude be large enough to start an oscillation?
>I doubt it except for in perhaps the most instable of all amplifiers.  I
>have no proof, but neither do you.

?  Damped-wave anode circuit ringing has been reported by hams who have
access to spectrum analyzers.  All power-grid amplifiers do it.  note:
No parasitic arcing occurred during these tests.

Rich...