[AMPS] Question on 3-500Zs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Question on 3-500Zs
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 07:01:27 -0700

>Hi All,
>    I have a question on using a Eimac 3-500Z  with a 3-500
>from China. I am going to put them into a Kenwood TL-922.
>Would I run into any problems doing this?

?  There are apparently several plants in China that produce 3-500Zs, so
there may be some variation.  However, those sold by RF Parts reportedly
require  approx.  the same bias as Eimac 3-500Zs.  //  I would not
replace both tubes without performing a high-pot. test.  Just because
there was a big-bang and one tube developed a grid/fil. short does not
necessarily mean that the other tube needs to be replaced.  Another test
that might be useful is measure the parasitic resistors' resistances.  If
you discover that one of them is more than 50% too high, the possibility
of 130MHz regeneration deserves consideration.

-  later, Boyd  W6DSB

Rich...