[AMPS] New World Record for 8877 Replacement

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] New World Record for 8877 Replacement
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 02:29:11 -0700
Lane

>Rich,
>1. How did you rcv this information?

?  the telephone, c. 11am, Wednesday.  The call was from Fred, a friend
of Bob's.  Fred told me he had a problem with the relay sticking in his
AL-1200.

>2. How do you know it is accurate?

?   I did not inspect the AL-1500. nor did I test the kaput 8877s.
However, the info was incidental to a discussion about the ruggedness of
the 3CX1200A7 vs. heater-type tubes.  Thus, I doubt that the story was a
plant.  Bob, WB5UZR, and Fred can be found on 3853KHz LSB.
 .
>3. How do you know he is not mis-tuning the amp or overdriving?

?  ..Seven tubes seems unlikely.  . Overdriving the cathode/ stripping
the cathode is a rare mode of failure in 8877s.  .  Testing the kaput
8877s would show the cause of failure.  Hopefully, I will have the
opportunity to do that.

>I do NOT disagree with the idea that MOST of the Ameritron amps are of
>extremely poor RF design.

?  An HF/MF 8877 amplifier with no VHF suppressor seems to be a
questionable design.

-  cheers, Lane

To: <amps@contesting.com>
>Date: Wednesday, June 16, 1999 1:14 PM
>Subject: [AMPS] New World Record for 8877 Replacement
>

>??  An amplifier owned by Mr. Robert McFadden, WB5UZR has apparently set
>a new world record for 8877 replacement in one amplifier.   Seven (7)
>replacement 8877s have been installed so far in his MFJ-Ameritron
>AL-1500  --  the one and only manufactured 8877 HF amplifier that does
>not utilize any VHF parasitic-suppressor whatsoever.  As I recall, the
>old record was reportedly held by an 8-lander in Indiana whose AL-1500
>required six replacement 8877s.  Some of the 8877s apparently failed from
>gold-sputtering.
>

>Rich...

Rich...