[AMPS] SMPS a la QEX

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SMPS a la QEX
From: hbrown@voicenet.com (Harry Brown)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:45:52 -0400
Note there was a small addendum to the Feb 91 QEX article.

See the August 1991 issue, page 21.

73, Harry, W3IIT

At 10:36 PM 6/16/99 +0200, Carsten Groen wrote:

>Hi Marv et all.....

>The QEX article about the SMPS, uses a very simple "controller"

>a CMOS 4001 coupled as a square wave oscillator, driving a couple

>of MJE200/MJE210, which then drives 4 small transformers

>(to get some galvanic isolation). The 4 transformers (some

>small FB-77-6301 toroids) then drives each a FET. The FETS

>suggested by the author is IXYS IXFH21N45, ie 21 Amps 450 Volts.

>The FETS are running the output transformer in a H configuration.

>The output transformer is made of 10 FT193 toroids, with the

>primary made of some copper pipes, 3/8 " inside diameter, the

>secondary are wound thru the pipes, and is made of some #12

>PTFE insulated wire.

>There are no PWM regulating/no feedback, just a simple switcher !

>The author, W9QQ, has had the design running for "several" months,

>(that was in feb 1991) in a dual 3CX800 HF amp. He says in the article

>that the output voltage stays within 50 V going from 50 mA to 1 Amp.

>Ripple is less than 1 Vpp.... he says.

>He uses a FWB and 5100 uF at the input, and some schottky diodes

>at the output, and a 6.8 nF/10KV capacitor at the output.

>This was a short extract of the article.

>This is a VERY easy and simple construction !

>Carsten OZ9AAR

>http://www.magicio.com/cgroen

>mailto:cgroen@image.dk

<center>Visit the Mt. Airy VHF Radio Club at:

</color></underline>Info on VHF/Microwave Nets, Beacons & Subscription to
Cheesebits

Currently running a series on 24 GHz Transverters

Beacons at 50.080, 144.284, 222.065, 432.295, 903.071, 1,296.251,
2,304.037, 3456.220, 5,760.200 and 10,368.200 MHz from FM29JW </center>