[AMPS] Neutralizing HB amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Neutralizing HB amp
From: n2bc@stny.rr.com (Bill Coleman)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:26:07 -0400
Working on a homebrew  4-1000 amp.  The CN is a piston type (outer sleeve
feeds below chassis to the grid circuit, inner / adjustable sleeve connected
to the anodes).  Due to space considerations, CN is sitting appx. 4.5" from
the anodes (centerline to centerline) or appx. 3" from the anodes to the
outer (grid) sleeve.

I can't get a null... as I reduce CN, feedthru steadily decreases until the
adjustable cylinder is at the limit of it's travel at minimum C. I suspect I
simply have too much coupling from the anodes to the outer (grid) sleeve
because of the physical placement of CN midway between the bottles.

I'm thinking about taking CN apart and shortening the outer sleeve.  It's
abt 3" long, thought I'd start lopping off 1/4" at a time, hopefully to find
the point where the physical coupling of the outer sleeve to the anodes is
less than needed to neutralize, then add capacitance with the adjustable
sleeve.

Does this make sense??   Wisdom please.... I recently gave away my spare CN,
so this will be a one-way trip!

Thanks all, Bill N2BC