[AMPS] Obtuse questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Obtuse questions
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 02:40:37 -0700

>Rich says:
>
>>Vert. mtg. solves shaft alignment probs, slightly reduces stray L, reduces
>>stress on seals and eliminates the strain of gravity on the soft,
>oxygen-free >copper plates.   .  .  and Jennings recommends vert. mtg.
>
>Also cures troubles in babies' teething, excellent in cases of high wind,
>disperses fog.....
>
>Serously, though the trouble with vertical mounting is that you can end up
>with a high front panel. If you're motor driving, that can be irritating
>unless you use gears or chain or drive belt, rather than direct end to end
>connection. For my new amp, I have listened to what Rich

?  and the manufacturer

>said, and mounted
>them vertical - and ended up with a 14 inch high front panel.

?  A 15" panel is about minimum for an 8171 or 8170.  10" above chassis
is needed to avoid anode arcs.  5 inches below chassis allows for easy
inclusion of a filament transformer.  .  //  However, by using vert. vac.
cap. mounting, one saves chassis space.  There is no free lunch.

> I know many
>commercial applications that have proved satisfactory with horizontal
>mounting. My antenna tuning unit currently has one mounted horizontally -
>been working fine for some years now.

?  As do I.  Tuners tend to not have anything below the chassis.
Amplifiers are a different ballgame.

-  later, Peter

Rich...