[AMPS] Class C 4-400A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Class C 4-400A
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:07:55 EDT
Happy Friday everybody,
    My last curious concept of the week.  A mix of the old and the new.

    Just for old times sake, say I had a vintage tetrode, 4-400A to be
specific, and I wanted to operate it in swamped grid, grounded cathode
Class C, biased, as per the data sheet, with -220V on the grid.

    And I was going to drive it from a modern transceiver capable of 100
watts into 50 ohms (70 volts peak).

    Then connect a 1:4 toroidal step-up transformer between the
transceiver and the grid of the tube to create the correct driving
voltage,  swamped with an 800 ohm resistor...

   Would that work o.k.?    Un-neutralized??   Or is that arrangement not
"swampy" enough???

   Are there any problems when the grid is in the positive region where,
if memory serves correctly, the grid impedance is on the order of 1000
ohms?

73,
  Marv   WC6W

If you can't see it glow, it isn't real radio

*