[AMPS] new to me al-811h amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] new to me al-811h amp
From: sales@radiosonline.com (Scott Bullock)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:59:58 -0400
I just picked up a used Ameritron AL-811H amp yesterday for real short money,
it was advertised as broken. It arced everytime you turned it on. I pulled it
all apart and found a burnt grid resistor on one of the tube sockets. Upon
further inspection of the tubes, it was noted that the plates weren't straight
anymore, and the tops and bottoms of them curled in towards the grid. The tube
that had the blown grid resistor had a obvious plate to grid short.

These tubes have white ceramic bottoms with no external markings on them except
for a "P" on the glass. There is some handwritten marking on the inside of the
tube, but just numbers. Do these sound like the Svetlana 811a or some Chinese
clone?

Without having the extended experience with 811a tubes as many of you do (it's
only my 3rd amp), what would cause the plates to curl like this-just excessive
heat, improper loading, improper cooling?

One of the things that I looked at on the 811h amp when I saw this was that it
only has one area for air outflow, and it looks to favor the capacitors in the
power supply. The tubes really don't see all that much air around them. On my
sb200 (2) I had always put a muffin fan on top of the amp to pull the hot air
out and keep the internal temperature down in contests. What's the general
consensus on installing a screened vent over the rf section to vent air there?

Thanks,

Scott

KA1CLX

<bold><bigger>

Advantage Communications

</bigger></bold>Professional Wireless Communications

www.radiosonline.com

800-851-RADIO