R: [AMPS] Problem with Plate Choke

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: R: [AMPS] Problem with Plate Choke
From: Maurizio Panicara" <i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 22:50:32 +0200
As already reported by someone else , your plate choke was resonating in the
near of the frequency used. This is not a rare situation in large chokes
used to cover several octaves and it happens because of the existing
capacitance between turns, or because of a critical choke positioning inside
the amp cabinet.
It's not always easy to solve this type of problem and empirical
modifications often lead to bad compromises or symply shift a problem from a
band to another.
Winding an optimum plate choke from 1.8 to 30 Mhz is a quite complex job
expecially when the required current is high, the wire not so thin and the
choke becomes dimensionally large in size (expecially in diameter).
Some commercial amateur amplifiers use undersized chokes penalyzing
performances on some band (160) but acquiring safety on the remaining ones,
other designers "moved" self resonances in dead parts of the spectrum and
accepted a reduced efficiency when choke resonance occurs in the proximity
of a particular band.
A number of HF professional (military) amplifiers built for no compromises
switch automatically 2 or more plate chokes to cover properly the 1.5-30 Mhz
specrtum.
Since yours is an home made amplifier you can decide what to do, but unless
you drop to compromises (i.e no 160m) it will be not an easy and quick deal
to have a single and good plate choke good for 160m and without resonances
on higher frequencies.

73,
Mauri I4JMY