[AMPS]RJ-iA relay contact-life on CW?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS]RJ-iA relay contact-life on CW?
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 12:15:21 -1000
Dan wrote:

> Uh oh, I better not tell my modern radio (TS-870) it is
>too fast for my HENRYS!  My 3K Classic X MKII was
>12 years old when I traded the RF  deck back
> in for a 3K Premier to get 160M and vacuum out relay.
> Never a relay problem,....

Well my Henry  8K Ultra gets tuned up regularly being
pulsed from my Omni VI+ with 60 wpm dits.  Just use
the RCA Relay output socket back of the Omni.  Per the
Ten Tec manual, "This relay is used to control a non-QSK
amplifier requiring heavy relay switching capacity.  Delay
is adjustable."  The "hang time" of the linear is also controlled
by how much delay is dialed in to control rcvr recovery time,
for operators preferring to keep the rcvr muted between
CW elements,  but not words,  or pauses in transmission.
This time is settable between "01 and 15";  and I have
no idea how that translates into milliseconds, hi!

As my Henry has both reed relays and vacuum,
presume I could set it up as I had with the 87A,
and use full QSK key from a link between the Omni
TX en and TX out sockets.  A diode in series with
this jumper running over to the 87A relay input
worked just fine.  Of course,  the 87A is diode
keyed.  Anyway,  seldom want full QSK,  so have
not tried yet.  Omni full break-in QSK is good up to
about 25 wpm.

Omni  seems to get along with my Henry just fine,
which has vacuum relay at output,  but reed relays
on input and bias,  I believe is what Paul Johnson
at Henry told me when it was being put together.
Had asked for three vacuum relays,  but he said the
reed relays were preferable.  Hope I have this info
correct! Am sure Dan will advise the correct set up
I was sent,  hi.  At least Paul will know.  I will be
calling him about another matter tomorrow,  so
will double check myself and advise.

73,  Jim,  KH7M