[AMPS] Ameritron AL-80 upgrade

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Ameritron AL-80 upgrade
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 08:33:20 -0700

>Hi Chris,
>
>> Hello all
>>
>> I've looked through the archives and can't see much about the AL-80.
>> I've just purchased an early model AL-80 and would like to modify
>> it/upgrade it before using it.
>>
>> I know that there were some parasitic oscillation problems with these
>> early models - can anyone tell me how the AL-80A and AL-80B have been
>> improved ?
>
>I never heard that rumor about early AL-80's, except from Rich
>Measures. He attributes any failure, no matter what the actual
>cause, to parasitics.

?  Only when there is collateral evidence.  The good news is that what
appears to be parasite damage in single 3-500Z amplifiers (such as the
AL-80 .series and SB-1000) is less common than it is 2, 3-500Z amplifiers
-- probably because there is twice as much anode/cathode feedback-C in a
"2-holer".  .

>If you feel more comfortable, make mods...but they won't cure
>problems that aren't there.

?  good point.  To find out if your AL-80 hotswitches, observe the swr
meter on your transceiver during PTT operation.  If the swr indication
spikes as the button is pushed, hotswitching is indicated.   //  In my
opinion, hotswitching can cause problems.

>The bulk of failures in early AL-80's (made by Amp Supply prior to
>Prime Instruments recalling the line do to a bad debt)

?  whose bad debt, Tom?

Rich...