[AMPS] SB220 problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB220 problem
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:13:47 -0700

>I bought an SB220 amp that wasn't putting any power out on 10 meters, but
>1200 to 1300 on 20 and 15 mtrs.  It turned out to be a fried bandswitch on
>10 thru 20, but was hanging on with a hair on 15 and 20.

?  Did the bad bandswitch resemble the toasted bandswitch shown on p.33
in the Oct. 1990 issue of *QST*?

> I replaced the
>bandswitch and while I was at it, i installed Harbach mods.

?   If the parasitic suppressors are short on L-sup, they may not reduce
the gain of the tubes far enough at 110Mhz to prevent regeneration.  I
would increase L-sup and see if arcing decreases.   //  Since Tune-C
arcing is much less destructive than bandswitch arcing, I would bend the
first rotor plate on the Tune-C off center so that the Tune-C breaks down
at a lower v than the bandswitch.  If you have a high-potential breakdown
tester, a breakdown of 3700v is about right for the Tune-C in a 220.
Mo' volts is not mo' betta.
-  Another method of reducing VHF gain is to put a synthetic VHF load
between the cathode/fil.  and ground.  Such a device consists of small
amount of C and R in series from the cathode/fil. to gnd.  Typical C is
30 or so pF and R =s around 10-ohms (with low-L).  The idea is to make
the series circuit, (including tube lead L)  resonant near 110MHz.

>suppressor, soft key, soft start, and rectifier-metering board kits) I also
>installed new resistors across HV caps from Rich Measures yesterday.  Now
>on 20 it will arc a bluish color on bandswitch when driving it up to abt
>300 watts out.

?  Congratulations on having a pair of 3-500Zs with above average vhf
gain.  .

-  cheers, Bob

Rich...