[AMPS] 8877 vs Yu-158; IMPORTANT CORRECTION for DJ2HZ et al

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 8877 vs Yu-158; IMPORTANT CORRECTION for DJ2HZ et al
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:43:06 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard W. Ehrhorn <w4eto@rmi.net>
>Everything in your reply to Werner is "right on," Phil, EXCEPT relating to
>avoiding the 8877's infamous 1986-1988 design defect with YU-158s. I
>apologize for contradicting you publicly and do it only because it could
>cost Werner and others.
>
>I'm virtually 100% positive that YU-158s carrying the doomed date codes are
>just as susceptible as regular 8877s to early failure, as follows:

Thanks very much for coming forward, Dick. I appreciate it very much.
I purposefully put Werner's post on the reflector in hope of "drawing out"
someone at Eimac to finally come clean about the bad run of tubes.

I am sick and tired of being led around the bush by folks at Eimac about
the 8877/YU-158 issue.

Your presance here on the reflector is most appreciated, Dick, and has been
a  real "Walter Cronkite" experience on how it really was in the early days
of
linear amp building. and product development. You are one of the few major
players in the industry who not only will admit mistakes but tell us why it
was
a mistake and what you did to fix it. Sadly, most of your competitors in the
industry are lacking in expertise, honesty, and  coustomer service.

Keep those posts coming! I stand corrected, and will watch those date codes!

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC