[AMPS] Re:(AMPS) sb-200 troubles

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re:(AMPS) sb-200 troubles
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 17:05:50 +0100
Tom says:

        >That problem can cause a popping noise in the receiver or blow out
sensitive front-end components

You have to remember that those of us in Europe aren't used to the amount of
thunderstorms, or the intensity that you get in the US. So things that work
well for us may well be totally inadequate over there. On high remote sites
used by the police in Northern Ireland for their VHF, they would put a
scaffolding pole up on the tower, sticking up above the other antennas.
Apparently this gradually got worn away by lightning, but it did protect.

I use an 'energise to receive'  antenna relay in the linear: I figure the PA
tubes and tank circuit are better rated than the rx front end.

73

Peter G3RZP