[AMPS] Have Cake & Eat it too

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Have Cake & Eat it too
From: jonk@jskent.com (Jonathan Kaplan)
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 08:37:45 -0700
At 07:19 AM 9/9/99 -0700, Vic Rosenthal wrote:
>Jonathan Kaplan wrote:
>>
>> In other words, when I tune the AMP
>> the power meter (a RS model) will either show greater power at
>> a high SWR or low power at low SWR. But not high power at low
>> SWR!  What does this mean is wrong? Does it neccessarily
>> mean the final output into the air is limited, and that the antenna
>> system is out of tune?
>
>If you mean that the meter shows extra high power on frequencies for which
the
>SWR is high, this is an inaccurate power reading caused by the meter's being
>designed to work properly only on a relatively flat (low-swr) line.

Not EXTRA high power. The maximum power showing in any case is about 1Kw,
which I am told is about expected for 100w drive from a Yeasu Ft-840.

>If you mean that the swr reading goes way up as the power output of the
amp is
>increased, then this might be an indication that the harmonic output of
the amp
>is very high when the amp is tuned for high power; the swr of the antenna
system
>at harmonic frequencies is probably very high.

If the amp has harmonics, being measured by the power meter and reject by
the antenna
system, I would think that means the antenna system is in good shape but
the amp
might need work, right?

Any suggestions about the enxt step?

Thanks for the quick reposnes.