[AMPS] 4-1000A plans

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4-1000A plans
From: zeitler@ibm.net (zeitler@ibm.net)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 13:20:03 -0700
Mike,
Unless you are going to configure it as a tetrode you will need lots of Ep
to get good power out, at least 5kV, 6 to 7 kV is even better.

Terry W6RU and jon KE9NA are both running 4X1s.

I built one abt five years ago and ran 6800 volts at 2 amps on it with a
huge pole pig I bought from Marv W6FR but it really scared the crap out of
me to run that much Ep. The deck would put out abt 2500 watts on 20 and
below. I eventually sold it. Now I run almost exclusively 3-500Zs at 4400 to
4500 vdc and they perform very very well. My single holer will do around
1000 watts out on 160 and 75 meters with 400mA on the plate at 3800 volts
under load.

See Rich's web page at www.measures.com for great bits on setting up tetrode
amps.

I may go with a single 4cx1600 in the future. But before I do that I will
probably do my dream of many years--building individual monoband amps. Pair
of 3-500Zs in each.

Just picked up a beutiful used Dahl xmfr rated at 3300 vdc at 500mA ccs. Was
used in commercial medical equipment (8877). Got the oil filled cap, power
and time delay relays, cabinet. Now all I need is the bleeders (off to
Murphy's this afternoon as a matter of fact). This will be the supply for
the indiv. amps.

More to follow.

Need to get my pix to Larry for his "amplifier pix web page", hi.

GL with the project and keep us posted.

Lane
Ku7i