[AMPS] 4-1000A plans

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4-1000A plans
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 99 16:51:02 -0500
measures wrote:

>  Most hams are so terrified of a tetrode with 10,000w of dissipation,
>they will sell cheap.  My guess is that an 8171 can be found at a
>reasonable price on rec.radio.swap.

Yeah, but Rich, unless they trip over one at an estate sale, MOST hams
wouldn't even come into possession of one in the first place.

>>Also who says you have to
>>drive a pair of 4-1Ks with 350 Watts?  That would assume that a single
>>4-1K would need to be driven with 175 Watts.
>
>At 3500v, 175w of drive is about right.

WHO drives a 4-1K with 3500 volts?  That would be majorly silly.

>>I drive my single 4-1K with
>>about 80 to 100 and get full legal limit.  And I ALWAYS get great signal
>>and audio reports.
>>
>zzzzzzzz  zzz

So I guess this means you aren't interested or applaud others in their
success?

>>Plus there's a romance in seeing the glow of those old firebottles!
>>
>In a 4-1000 there is so much screen L, it's like being in parasitic hell.

Hmmm...Gee, once I came up with a good layout, I didn't have any
parasitic problems.  In fact, I don't run nichrome in the anode OR
supressor resistors for that matter.  Haven't been able to find
instability yet and I run 50 wpm dits with the PA all the time when
tuning.  Oh yeah, and with my layout, I have NO anode resonance I can
find in typical 4-1K resonant area.

But then I guess I've done the impossible since every amp should have
nichrome?

I left parasitic hell a long time ago and my amp came with me.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na