[AMPS] Where to read Reflected Power

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Where to read Reflected Power
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 99 12:40:40 -0500
measures wrote:

>>>?  However, without a tuner, the 2.5% gets reflected back to the antenna.
>>>

>>No, that's not correct.
>
>?  Where does the reflection go after it arrives at the amp. output
>terminal?  It is my opinion that the reflection heads back toward the
>antenna.

Rich, you are a master at cut and paste editing where you twist everyone's
words.

THIS is what I wrote:

>>?  However, without a tuner, the 2.5% gets reflected back to the antenna.
>>

>No, that's not correct.  Jim's VSWR of the antenna itself is much worse
>than that.  The 2.5% mismatch is the mismatch BETWEEN the tuner and the PA
>when the tuner is tuned for min SWR.  You just didn't read the post
>carefully enough, Rich.

Quite a bit different than the hatchet job you did, Rich.  Changes the meaning
of the entire post, doesn't it.  Please use a little more care to properly
quote people in the future.

Jim's antenna has much worse than a 2.5% mismatch.  If he had no tuner, the
reflected power at the PA would be sent back to the antenna.

However....

Let's say that Jim's antenna DOES have just a 2.5% mismatch.  I will assume a
lossless transmission line.  2.5% of his power will be reflected back down the
line and without a tuner will end up at the output of his PA.  Now, SOME of
that power will be absorbed in the PA and SOME of it will be reflected back up
the line.  Only if output of the PA looked like a short or an open circuit
would the entire 2.5% be re-reflected.  And if the output of the PA looked like
a short or an open, no power would get out of the PA in the first place!

So you are still incorrect.

Of course, what does it matter to try discussing anything with you, Rich. You
twist and manipulate everything that anyone else says to gratify your ego.

You should be a politician or a laywer.

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na