[AMPS] The things you see Homebrew Amplifiers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] The things you see Homebrew Amplifiers
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 07:17:35 -0700
William L. Fuqua III wrote:

> I have seen the BC-375 Band switches used in a number of homebrew
> amplifiers. I would expect them to fail after a while. What do you
> think?

I once replaced one in a 4-1000A amp owned by an OT.  He told me that every few
years he had to replace it!  The switches were cheap and he got guys like me to
do the work. The current-carrying capability is probably adequate, but I think
the spacing between contacts is too small for the HV, and the contacts
ultimately burn up from arcing.

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA