[AMPS] Re:No Brainer

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re:No Brainer
From: K1LE@uconect.net (Jeffrey A. Madore)
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 13:38:38 -0400
Ok, I will openly and upfront, admit that I have little function
in the neuro synaptic regions. Lyme Encephalitis and associated
chemo is taking it's toll.

My question is: A single 3-500Z amp is usually rated around
1KW +/- out. With low duty cycle service, such as ssb, would it be
possible to get more output without serious loss of tube life?

Next question: According to my ARRL hand book, Max Ep for
the 3-500Z is 4KV. Is it better to run at higher Ep and thus
lower Ip at a given power level?  Would this extend the life of
the cathode?  Would an Ep of 5 or 6KV be reasonable or destructive?

Thanks for any input, and for all of the discussion on SWR/
transmission line characteristics. This has indeed been stimulating.

Respectfully,

Jeff Madore
K1LE - CT