[AMPS] WTB B+ xformer etc

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] WTB B+ xformer etc
From: K1LE@uconect.net (Jeffrey A. Madore)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 08:18:57 -0400

Shane KI4M/KV4I wrote:

. Also as a dumb question what do most of you use

> to "tape" up HV wires that are "spliced" together? Someone here locally is
> going to try to splice some and I advised him that I didn't know what he
> should use. I know regular electrical tape breaks down at around 600V.
> Keep up the good responses guys and help out use young newbies.

Hi Shane,

Standard electrical tape has a low voltage rating, however the rating of
a given splice increased with the number of turns. In industrial applications
a heavier tape is often used, however the number of wraps still determines
the rating of the splice. It's common to tape a 6.9KV connection in
industrial power systems.

Even better, Raychem makes a heavy walled heat shrink tubing that
does a nice clean job. If you know somebody at a nuke plant, they
toss this stuff out due to VERY conservative shelf life requirements.

One interesting note: just for kicks, I've hi-potted standard 600v #12 THHN
wrapped around the hanger on a coat rack pole (0.25" radius) and never
broke it down below 80KV. Not to say that it's good for anywhere near that
application, as leakage would surely degrade it over time at a much lower
voltage.
It is interesting though, how much it will actually withstand.

Jeff K1LE