[AMPS] A look underneath the Ugly amp. chassis.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] A look underneath the Ugly amp. chassis.
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 13:40:38 -0600
on 11/4/99 02:51, G0MJW at mike@g0mjw.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

> No, because it will wreck the regulation. Most amp PSUs use capacative
> filters after the rectifier to provide the HV supply.  A feature of
> capacative filtering is the high ratio of the peak current supplied from the
> rectifier into the filter capacitor with respect to the mean current
> supplied to the amplifier. The proper thing to use on the HV primary is a
> variac.

Oh! Duh!  Wake up and smell the coffee, Jon......  :-)

My mistake in terminology.  Yes, yes, yes, of course you would want to use a
variac and not a rheostat in the HV primary.  And that is what I use - a
variac.  In fact, I think it's a variac in the filament supply as well.

I wasn't thinking about the proper terms for my devices.

Yes, a rheostat would be VERY bad (bannanas as Rich says) in the HV primary.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na