[AMPS] Eimac care and feeding

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Eimac care and feeding
From: mgilmer@gnlp.com (Gilmer, Mike)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:33:00 -0500
On Thursday, November 18, 1999 6:26 AM, sm5ki [SMTP:sm5ki@algonet.se] wrote:
> Now, how can I scan my ( and hopefully others as well ) amp material into
my
> computer. And what about copyrights if it is going to be avaiable to all
you
> amplovers as well?
>
> Prosit/73s de Hans SM5KI

This is a question I've often had.

In the US, it's generally (always?) legal to photocopy copyrighted material
for personal (e.g., research) use - or so I've been told by lawyers.  If I
scan something, and send it to "someone" via email, it's probably the same.
(Hard to catch anyway!)

What if I post this scanned document to a reflector (lots of "someones") or
if I post it on a web page (even more "someones")?  If I acknowledge the
copyrighter, is that enough?  (Not so hard to catch!)

Also, does it matter if the original source of the copyrighted material no
longer offers it for sale or is a defunct company?  I think about this
whenever I visit one of the antique radio equipment manual web sites.  What
do these guys do?

73
Mike
N2MG