SV: [AMPS] G2DAF and super cathode

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] G2DAF and super cathode
From: sm5ki@algonet.se (sm5ki)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 20:53:22 +0000
Dear Ian:

I am just looking into the recent edition of PAT HAWKERS Technical Topics
Scrapbook page 109 which is a reprint of the September 1991 issue of RSGBs
RADIO COMMUNICATION in which G2DAF says the IMD of a single 813, as
indicated on on-air reports, to be some 45 down in relation to the wanted
voice sideband signal . Not very scientific and accurate but still an
indication the DAF can not be as bad as reported on this reflector. There is
more on the DAF on page 225 a reprint from the September 1993 issue.

45 dB refered to what . Pep? There must be some accurate spec analyzer
measurments made in the past. Ian, you are near the RSGB  and are in the
position to find out?

Does anybody remember the Taylor modulation or the controlled carrier
operation of AM finals? A lot of similar  dicussion as the one we have
to-day on this reflector but in practice very effective. Ah, them good ol'
AM days around 1958 when SSB was allowed to operate only at the upper
portion  the 14 MHz band, above 14.3. I was there too with Swedens only and
first commercial SSB transceiver a COLLINS KWM-1?

73s de Hans SM5KI